Be Disclaimed

"It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge."
Enrico Fermi

March 05, 2006

Blogs

It seems a number of police blogs are having to shut down.

I have posted previously on the problems that faced
The Policeman's Blog, but since then Cayman Cop, Brian's Brief Encounters, and now World Weary Detective have been forced to either refrain from mentioning the police, or shut down completely.

WWD has posted the following statement from the Management Board of the Metropolitan Police Service dated March 3rd 2006:

"Recently the organisation has become aware of a series of web-logs or blogs - where authors - claiming to be police officers - have offered their views on a number of issues in a highly personalised, often controversial manner.'

This statement is followed by 'guidance' on writing blogs. In summary, this states that although 'blogging' cannot be stopped, the 'impact of expressing views and opinions that are damaging to the organisation or bring the organisation into disrepute' must be considered. Disciplinary proceedings may be considered against posters of material that may be (among other things) defamatory, offensive or otherwise inappropriate."


WWD comments
"I have committed no crime. I have compromised no police operations. I have received no payment for anything published on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own.

It is therefore with deep regret and great sadness that I must announce that I will no longer be submitting posts to this blog. I cannot challenge New Scotland Yard. I am weary indeed and cowardice is my bedmate. The protection of my family must take precedence.

To each and every one of you - take note of what has happened here and be afraid."


He finishes with the following quote:

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell.

Obviously the powers that be don't like voices that don't follow the party line. It seems we are not far from 1984 anymore.

(edit - Rachel from North London posted these famous words:

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

FIRST THEY CAME FOR THE JEWS - MARTIN NIEMOLLER.
)

Comment by Haloscan:

|

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said to The MuppetLord...

State sponsored oppression. I hoped this would never happen in this country. As WWD says, be afraid.

March 05, 2006 8:10 am  
Blogger The Gorse Fox said to The MuppetLord...

Gorse Fox thinks the most worrying thing is that the vast majority of people have no idea how thei rights are being eroded along with their freedoms.

March 05, 2006 9:01 am  
Blogger Juggling Mother said to The MuppetLord...

Being dooced is a real possibility for many of us. This is just the most recent in a long line of prohibitions on blogs. IMO this is one of the most important uses for the internet & personal views should not be repressed outside of work. I hope we will see some of them continuing - even if they are more circumspect aout exactly who/where they are.

March 10, 2006 8:20 am  
Blogger ancient clown said to The MuppetLord...

And when they came for me they got a surprise...I AM...and those that fall upon me shall be broken to pieces, but those that I fall upon shall be crushed.

http://ancientclown.blogspot.com/2006/03/war-on-poor.html

I've already stood...who will stand with me?
your humble servant,
Ancient Clown

March 25, 2006 9:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home