Be Disclaimed

"It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge."
Enrico Fermi

July 20, 2005

Stuff I heard today

Apparently teachers don't think students should be 'failed' anymore. No....these students have 'deferred success'. I believe the appropriate response is WTF?!

Is this how all pupils will pass now? They won't fail...they'll just defer their pass. Come on, I'd rather know that I'm useless, better that than 'deferred successful'. It won't encourage the students to get their arse into gear will it? There is nothing like a short sharp shock to get people's attention.

It is like GCSE gradings I suppose. It is a while since I went to school, but grades were A-G, then Unclassified. The rumour was that the only way to get a U was to be unable to write your name on the exam papers. G was easy to get.
I got an F distinction in computing. Confused? Yes, I was as well.

No A+ or anything like that. Hardly anyone got A's. Now it has got to the point of A*'s, A+....I suppose they are the old A's and B's.... so...does that mean a straight A is an old C?

Why are we trying to pass people who wouldn't have otherwise? It makes a mockery of those that went before, and devalues the grades. It seems that a lot of people get A's or A*'s these days.

Maybe it's just me.

Taken from BBC
here


Oh yes, the Mercury Music Prize nominations have been announced:

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Coldplay - X&Y
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
MIA - Arular
Polar Bear - Held on the Tips of Fingers
Seth Lakeman - Kitty Jay

I'm sorry, I only recognise 3 of these...Coldplay (for my sins), KT Tunstall, and the Kaiser Chiefs. Who are the others? Am I that out of touch with popular music?

ok, don't answer that...I obviously have the wrong taste in music.


TV Licensing is a bit of a strange thing. If you watch or record television in the UK, you require a TV licence....£42 for a black and white TV, £126.50 for a colour TV. This applies not only to stuff like SKY and Freeview, but also to foreign channels you receive.

That is payable every year. Now the licence goes to the BBC.... Failure to pay the licence can lead to prosecution and fines up to £1000. There are concessions if you are blind, and free if over 75. How do they find you? TV Detection Vans. Anyone seen one? I haven't. If you have, was there anyone inside?

Please note, I said it goes to the BBC. This begs the obvious question, what if I don't want to watch the BBC? Well basically, tough.

So, around 27 million licences (approx figure taken from
TV Licencing) by £126.50 (presuming all are colour) = £3,415,500,000. Nice little earner for the Beeb isn't it? Everyone else has to get advertising revenue, but you still need a licence to watch them.

Comment by Haloscan:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home