Be Disclaimed

"It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge."
Enrico Fermi

April 12, 2005

Music and Piracy....

ok...I thought I'd make a comment about this. I'd like to point out that I am not part of the downloading revolution in music. I still go to the shop and buy the CD's...I'm into the whole packaging thing you see...besides I am not that technologically savvy to figure out MP3 etc or the players and how to copy etc.

Anyhow, having seen a number of items on the news, I am getting confused.
Let me see if I have this right...

I can buy a CD from a shop...

1 - can I record it onto tape?
2 - can I make a mix from it and burn onto a CD?
3 - can I take a collection which I have copied off legitimate CD's onto the computer and share it with a friend, or burn onto a CD songs which a friend has shared with me?

It sort of links in with the whole BetaMax thing:


1 - Can I record a programme off the TV and then watch it?
2 - Can I record a programme off the TV and lend it to a friend to watch?

Confused? I am.

Personally I buy CDs from artists that I like - i.e. I already have their albums, or I like a song I have heard on the radio. Occasionally I will buy a CD of a band that I have been recommended...if I don't like it I take it back and get a different one.

I reckon the industry is losing sales because the selection available is a waste of money. People aren't going to buy rubbish albums pure and simple...so possibly there have been a large number of second-rate artists / albums on the market which people refuse to buy.

Also cost of CDs - apparently an album CD is around 56 pence (that's UK currency) to make....so being charged £16 for a single CD album (£24 for a double album) is a little extortionate...especially when you can go to a supermarket of choice (there are a number of stores) and get them for around £9.80 (single CD) or so...or less on a sale...or you can go on the internet, and get them for even less!!

So I guess there need to be decent albums by decent artists released for a change....we aren't going to be overcharged anymore.

Music industry extends piracy war
Court mulls file-sharing future
Music piracy 'does hit CD sales'

Comment by Haloscan:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home