Be Disclaimed

"It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge."
Enrico Fermi

October 19, 2005

Licence Fee

A digital BBC - at a price.
BBC seeks increase to licence fee?

Now...wait a minute....why should the BBC get the licence fee? Currently £126.50 a year for colour tv's, they want to increase it. From April 2007, they want to increase it by 2.3% above inflation. I am beginning to object to the BBC getting all this money...for what? Incidentally..licensing info here.

£13,000 for a 1 hour repeat? Where does £13,000 go? FFS don't you have this stuff on tape? It isn't like you have to re-record anything is it?

BBC.com - heard of it? No neither had I. It looks like a redirect to bbc.co.uk.

I believe the money should be split between BBC, ITV and Channel 4 and five. Sky as a subscription service would continue as normal. After all the licence fee worked on the principle that there was only one broadcaster....in fact I believe it also pays for radio broadcasting as well. Tell me if I'm wrong, because I'm not entirely sure.

What does the BBC give us?
.....BBC1, BBC2, BBC World, Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5live, regional radio stations like BBC Lancashire etc, and of course http://www.bbc.co.uk/.

That however is what you can get without digital. With digital you can get BBC3, BBC4, BBC7, 6Music, BBC News24, BBC Parliament, 1Extra etc.

Personally...I barely watch BBC1, occasionally BBC 2, listen to Radio 2...and look at the news website. However that is it...no digital channels whatever.

If I want news, Sky News is it...why? Well, I like to get news, not an opinion, which is what appears to come from the BBC these days. To think that for a while, if you wanted impartial and inciteful news coverage, you automatically went for the BBC. How times appear to have changed.

Entertainment for me? Mostly other channels like Sky One, ITV, Channel4, five, SciFi Channel, Discovery etc.

That's my opinion though...what do you think? I include those abroad that get BBC World, BBC America etc. What is your experience of the Beeb?

Comment by Haloscan:

|

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said to The MuppetLord...

I'm similar, I watch Sky news, Discovery, Hallmark, a bit of Sky One and some of the cop shows on Bravo etc.. BBC however does have some good programs, watchdog, panorama, eastenders, the bill.

Sky seems to get the drama series before the BBC. BBC seems to screen very old movies all the time.
I just don't think they can justify the massive hike in price. Get rid of the trash first, make some unbiased news broadcasts, and get rid of Dic & Dom, cut half the radio & tv channels and give quality not quantity (unlike sky).

October 20, 2005 2:08 pm  
Blogger Imogen said to The MuppetLord...

I have to agree! I can't say I'd really noticed the gradual degeneration of the BBC, due to the novelty of finally having sky, but as I recently forgot to pay the bill we're back to the 5 staple channels, but whilst watching BBC news last night I was shocked by the blatant partiality. Has it been like this for years, or have I always, before now, just agreed with the sentiment? Scary thought.
Hang on- doesn't BBC have Doctor Who?
Oh, and the Bill is a channel three hit.
(thank you, by the way, for teaching me to save my blog from spam Muppetlord!)

October 20, 2005 9:21 pm  
Blogger MuppetLord said to The MuppetLord...

Hmm...I think Panorama is about the only really good programme that they have. Top Gear is generally the only thing I watch....Waking The Dead is quite good. Movies? They generally multiple repeat everything until the tape dies...then find another copy of it. Dick & Dom is supposed to be intelligent apparently.....


I think the blatant news bias is a relatively recent thing on the news. Yes, BBC has Dr Who.

Imogen, you're welcome.

October 20, 2005 10:08 pm  
Blogger Cerebralwaste said to The MuppetLord...

The BBC has lost the plot by wearing bias so open on their sleeves. I see the BBC much like the NY Times. Once great figures of News and Media but now reduced too "has been" status. Sad.

October 29, 2005 2:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home